Saturday, March 22, 2008

Finding more stuff for RSS

For sites and resources that I'm already aware of, I find that the easier way to add them into my RSS reader is through my reader's interface. It takes only a moment or two to search for it and disambiguate the results.

If I'm looking for new resources, a find a compiled list to be much more usable than a full-fledged search engine. For instance, when looking for library blogs http://liswiki.org/wiki/Weblogs is much easier to use then, say, http://www.technorati.com. The former is more cleaner, more focused, and less busy than the latter. Of course, you work isn't half done for you ALL the time, so in the absence of these resources a search engine comes in handy.

I can see a few ways in which RSS feeds could be effectively used by the library. It could be used as a replacement for the library newletter. The same content would be pushed out, but in more a trickle than a flood. It could be used to inform or remind patrons of upcoming events as they approach. It could inform users of policy changes, holiday or inclement weather closures, election results, or other issues that would benefit from being published immediately rather than waiting for a weekly or monthly newsletter. Actually, if implementing this were my project, I would probably shy away from replacing the newsletter as a whole and just pushing out important or time-sensitive stuff. I've noticed that I tend to ignore my more prolific feeds in favour of the sparser ones. I just don't have time to go back and read all 462 Slashdot items. I will, however, get around to my 3 xkcd.com items and my 5 The Book of Biff items.

No comments: